[extropy-chat] Anti-Aging Molecule Discovered

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 03:50:26 UTC 2006

--- The Avantguardian wrote:

> The mantra of the modern pharmaceutical industry
> seems to be find a chemical that does SOMETHING
> physiologically and then invent a disease or
> disorder that creates a percieved need for the
> drug in question.

 Indeed, it seems arguable that too often, instead of
inventing drugs for diseases, the industry is
inventing diseases for drugs. This report might be
very much related to such a purported tendency:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/19/AR2006041902560.html

> The REAL breakthrough is their MAGIC (corny name I
> know) technology. I imagine every big pharmaceutical
> will either license it or reverse engineer it sooner
> or later. It really is a great way to do mass
> throughput screening for small molecular inhibitors
> of known protein targets. I am thouroughly
> impressed by it.

 My thoughts too. Here's an interesting PDF file
related to the MAGIC technology and CGK733:

http://www.kosef.re.kr/community/suica/upload/297_8.pdf

http://IanGoddard.net

"A proposition is a picture of reality. [...] A
picture cannot, however, place itself outside its
representational form. [...] No proposition can make a
statement about itself, because a propositional sign
cannot be contained in itself (that is the whole of
the 'theory of types')." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein