[extropy-chat] Extinctions

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 18:31:11 UTC 2006

On 6/14/06, Martin Striz wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Damien Sullivan wrote:
>
> > And we have more GDP, so we're spending more absolutely as well.  Funny
> > how we don't live longer.
> > The %GDP difference is big, too, like 15% for us then 10% for the next.
>
> It's 13% in the United States (I had to look this statistic up a few
> months ago), but I'm not sure where 2nd place is.  The point is that,
> given the outrageous medical costs in the United States, it makes more
> sense to prevent health problems in the first place here more than
> anywhere.  Even if regulations still end up costing the economy more
> (something that I think is at least disputable), the health problems
> avoided and lives saved is a cost that most sensible people are
> willing to shoulder.

Well, surprisingly, the reason US people don't live longer is because
of what kills them.  :)

The US has got rid of many of the third world diseases and substituted
the diseases of rich first world countries.  Obesity, diabetes, heart
disease, etc.  Mostly aided by lifestyle problems like lack of
exercise, overeating and eating the wrong food, smoking, cars, guns,
alcohol, etc.  And the infant mortality rate is 25% higher than
Euroland, which brings the overall life expectancy figure down.

The other point is that a lot of US health expenditure is not for
life-threatening conditions, Just 'feel-good' or 'feel-better' stuff.

BillK