[extropy-chat] # What the #$?! are rights anyway?

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Jun 16 05:09:36 UTC 2006

Lee,  The definition I presented said nothing about legality, At the
base, what I gave is a reasonable definition with which to begin. If you
don't like the word, then fine. One still needs a principle sanctioning
a man's freedom of action in a social context. Unless you are a hermit,
then it doesn't matter.

The next step is to claim "what" are your moral principles and "what"
are the social contexts and "how" does one put it in legal context, if
that is what you want, and if it is, then "how" does one arbitrate
disputes. That's another level. I said nothing about that.

For moral principles, one must decide what is at the core of one's
personal philosophy.

I would think 'right' to one's body as the most basic right that one can
have. I do not know why H+ people feel a need to debate this and why
such a basic issue is being brought up. If one doesn't accept this, then
everything else that people in the  transhuman community have discussed
during the last 20 years as desirable for their future collapses.

Amara