[extropy-chat] Health data

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Fri Jun 16 18:54:10 UTC 2006

Hughes, James J. wrote:
> Oh my Damien - how could that be? The US is the best of all possible
> worlds! And we spend the most of healthcare per person in the OECD!
> Could it be that our healthcare system wastes money and doesn't work as
> well as that of the UK, which spends less than half as much?

On the other hand, the UK health system looks right now to be on the verge
of bancrupcy (although that is a bit unfair, since it the main cause
appears to be some bad planning and politics). And "vårdkrisen" ("the
health care crisis") has been ongoing in Sweden for the last 15 years -
people are getting healthier and healthier (despite or perhaps thanks to
being on sick leave more and more), while everybody thinks the hospitals
are going down the drain. If there is one thing that remains constant
everywhere in Europe it is that nobody thinks their health care system
works well.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics