[extropy-chat] Health data

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 17 05:52:32 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki
> vaccinations, blood pressure medications, kidney dialysis, and a few
> other interventions with very good cost-to-benefit ratios, there is a
> whole lot of therapies, and a humongous number of diagnostic tests,
> with almost no impact on health or survival...
> Rafal

Ja, we have yet to mention the health cost of our legal system.  If a doctor
misses some oddball disease because she failed to order the test for it,
then she is liable for malpractice lawsuits.  We can scarcely blame doctors
for ordering a bunch of diagnostic tests that are way low on the cost
benefit ratio scale.  Once in a long while someone is saved by all that,
someone who would have otherwise perished.  But it does run up the cost of
medicine without adding significantly to its efficacy.