[extropy-chat] Health data

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Jun 17 11:28:04 UTC 2006

spike:
>Ja, we have yet to mention the health cost of our legal system.  If a
>doctor misses some oddball disease because she failed to order the
>test for it, then she is liable for malpractice lawsuits.

When I was in the States in December and needing antibiotics and a
doctor visit, the doctor at the neighborhood clinic (private, walk-in,
services) profusely apologized for how expensive was his visit +
antibiotics. He said that if there were not the high cost malpractice
lawsuits, he could charge reasonable fees for his services. My Italy
private doctor treatment two weeks before that visit for the equivalent
service was about ~1/3 the US private doctor cost. I don't think
that malpractice suits exist here, at least I've not heard about it.
(lack of legal system to support it, maybe)

Amara