[extropy-chat] psychology of investments in infrastructure

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jun 20 02:32:22 UTC 2006

On Jun 18, 2006, at 8:11 PM, spike wrote:

>> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
>>> Does anyone here think that terrorism will quietly go away?
>>
>> That which we pay inordinate attention to and center our lives and
>> country around certainly will not go away.
>
> So we can somehow ignore it away?

Those are not the only two choices of course.  Terrorism should not
be the high priority and general excuse it is today.

>> If you want terrorism to go away then end the circumstances that fuel
>> it.  Nothing else will do...
>
> Doesn't sound to me like that will do either.  Canada did nothing
> to fuel
> terrorism that I can see.  Did they?  I didn't see any indication
> that the
> Canadian terrorists were blaming Israel or the US for anything.
> They were
> specifically going after Canada for some odd reason.  I admit I am
> puzzled.
> Perhaps it is all fake.

That is the only thing that will lessen terrorism significantly.  I
did not say or mean it will eliminate it totally.

>>> ...Who here thinks that terrorism will escalate?
>>
>> It will escalate if we continue as we are now.  But the fear and
>> paranoia will escalate much faster...
>
> Ja I can imagine the Canadians feeling a rising paranoia.  Perhaps
> they are
> struggling to understand why suddenly everyone hates them.  To these
> Canadians I say: get over it, everyone doesn't hate you.

It is we in the US who are suffering from deep paranoia and engaging
in foolish foreign and domestic policy as a result.  Unlike perhaps
the Canadians much of the Middle East especially has very good
reasons to despise us.

- samantha