[extropy-chat] Enigmatic object baffles supernova team

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Jun 20 03:36:39 UTC 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Samantha Atkins wrote:
> What a strange article.  It variously says the object could be 5.5
> billion light years away, 12 billion light years away or in our own
> galaxy.  In short it doesn't seem we know much other than the raw
> data.   Very odd.

Yeah, that is what caught my attention.  It isn't that they do not
have some good data -- they have marshaled some nice assets for
observations -- but that they are having a hard time making the raw
data fit any conventional model.  I've already caught opinions from a
couple professional astronomers (though neither specializing in this)
and the gist is that they find it very weird and therefore very
interesting, but are at a loss for a meaningful opinion of what it
might be based on the data presented.  Too many anomalies in too many
different dimensions to reasonably shoehorn it as an outlier of some
well-known class given the current data.

J. Andrew Rogers