[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity, just curious:)

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Fri Jun 23 23:23:30 UTC 2006

> That state of restlessness can be a good thing because when we are not in
> involved in activities that stimulate our brains, a time of inner
> contemplation can set in.

Natasha, this is quite an important point, IMHO, and many kids nowadays
seem to be overwhelmed by *organized* activities. My nephew and niece
spent every afternoon after school in some sort of lessons - dance, music,
scouts, skating ... with evenings full of homework and weekends full of
family activity. I lived there for a brief while and was dismayed by this
schedule. Where was the quiet comtemplative opportunity? It seemed not to
exist.

I must admit the two kids grew up to be just fine: intelligent,
hard-working, and at least the girl I know is creative. The boy owns his
own business which is also, IMHO, a creative endeavor.

But I'd have been miserable without quiet "down time" on my own.

Perhaps it's just different personalities?

Regards,
MB