[extropy-chat] When did intelligence first emerge intheuniverse?

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Jun 24 06:08:33 UTC 2006

Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> Wrote:

 > And precisely *where* is the data coming from that  is providing
> those element abundances?

>From the light spectrum of the very oldest stars, stars that are almost as
old as the Big Bang itself. If dark Matter is made up of Jupiter Brains
then it's made up of ordinary baryonic matter, then the early universe
must have been much denser than we though and nearly all the deuterium
would have been converted into Helium 4 in the first few seconds of the
Big Bang. Instead we find lots of deuterium in those ancient stars,
just the amount you'd expect to see if Dark Matter were not normal matter.

And some of the stars we look at are so old, formed just a few hundred
million years after the Big Bang,  that it's difficult to believe any sort
of life could exist on them much less a civilization that's building Jupiter
Brains. For one thing there was very little carbon or metals back then,
they came later from supernovas.

 John K Clark