[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Tue Jun 27 04:43:34 UTC 2006

Russell writes

> On 6/26/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:
> > ...about mood control, or what is the same thing, that
> > we can in the future *choose* what it is that gives us
> > pleasure. Perhaps it's a hard concept, or perhaps people's
> > eyes just glaze over. In any case, I never receive any answer...

> Oh, that one's been answered ages ago - if you postulate
> a setting where people can rewire their brains in that way,
> then yes of course you have the wireheading trap, and
> doubtless some people will program themselves to derive
> maximal enjoyment from filling in forms or counting sheep
> or whatever's at hand.

There's quite a bit more to it than wireheading, Russell.
After all, Larry Niven practically invented the term in
his novels of the late sixties. The idea really has been
around, and unfortunately, that is all that usually comes
to mind whenever mood control is mentioned.

> > I was discussing what those of us who don't do that are
> > likely to end up doing.

> Lots of smart people enjoy cooking or working with their
> hands, or writing

Oh, I know! But you *missed* the question. The question was
not what we enjoy doing at all.

I guess it is a hard concept. The question is about what we
may wish to do when we *can* equally well get any reward
whatsoever from the activity.

> or painting or playing chess or playing the guitar. Are
> you saying you think they ought to all rewire their brains
> so the only thing they enjoy is... what? solving equations?

I'm saying that once reward and action are divorced, serious
questions arise. Difficult and awkward questions, questions
that may make many uncomfortable.

Once we get used to that, then we're no longer trapped by
feelings and forces out of our control. Would I still enjoy
chess?  Wrong question!  I'm going to enjoy whatever I do.
So what do we do?  What will we do?

Lee