[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Wed Jun 28 05:35:54 UTC 2006

Russell writes

> > Uh oh, I don't think you made it clear whether I have mood-control
> > or not. That's crucial To me, from the outset of this thread, that
> > has been the focus.

> Assume you have.

> > If I *do* have mood-control, then I wouldn't modify myself *to
> > enjoy* doing anything. That's because whatever I did would not
> > be *linked* to how satisfying or pleasurable I was finding life;

(because I would find satisfaction and pleasure in everything I did,
at least insofar as they are chemical processes. Yes, in case you
ask, I would still wish to be able to criticize my own actions and
thoughts.)

> > what one would choose to do---which is what I have been asking
> > all along---then turns out to be a much more abstruse query
> > (but important, for all that).

> What would you do, then? I mean "do" in the general sense, not
> just on what hobbies would you spend your days, but what course
> of action would you take? Would you alter your moods or other
> components of your mind? If so, in what direction and why?

I would aim for "The Hedonistic Imperative" goal of getting complete
rid of suffering. In my own case, ninety percent of it would be as
simple as "turning the knobs" so to speak. (Now of course, before
getting into any kind of self-modification, one would wish to proceed
very cautiously, and solicit the careful opinions of many others.)

Along with that, I'd elevate my IQ and my knowledge. (There surely
will be more advanced ways of learning available. If available,
copies of me would take even rasher steps, so long as it could
be kept under control of some kind.)

I hope that I am attending to the meaning behind your question. (?)

Lee