[extropy-chat] Fwd: SURVIVAL: An impulse behind transhumanism?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 30 23:21:57 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Keith Henson
>
> http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/research/cep/primer.html
>
> "The goal of research in evolutionary psychology is to discover and
> understand the design of the human mind. Evolutionary psychology is an
> approach to psychology, in which knowledge and principles from
> evolutionary biology are put to use...

> Keith Henson

OK Keith, I have one.  We have all heard the phrase, "Shhh, don't wake the
baby."  My observation with the newest extropian is that he doesn't mind
noise one bit, loud ones, even a lot of clattery din.  We had his hearing
checked, it is fine.  Then we noticed as soon as all the lights go out and
it gets quiet, such as at bedtime, he freaks out and puts a stop to it
forthwith.  Why?

Possible explanation: for 99% of the time evolution has been shaping the
human mind, any environment that is still and quiet could be bad news for
babies.  Surely the Double Barreled Chow Wagon has been devoured by some
carnivorous beast!  My choices here: 1) sit still and quiet, or 2) scream my
head off.  If choice 2) then either a) some carnivorous beast will hear and
devour me, or b) other DBCWs will hear and discover me, and thrust boobs
into my face (delightful creatures these DBCWs).  If choice 1) then either
a) some beast will eventually devour me anyway, or b) I am never discovered
by anything and starve in a couple days.

Choice 2b is the only fate of the four which would result in some
possibility of this set of genes being passed along, which means we all are
descended from those ancient infants whose instinct was to opt for choice 2.
Therefore modern babies will tend to scream their heads off when it gets too
still and quiet.

Thank you very freaking much, evolution.  {8-[