[extropy-chat] Reverse Evolution ?

Pete Bertine pkbertine at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:43:58 UTC 2006

English researchers found the subjects in Turkey to be far smarter than Dr
Tan did, raising question as to whether they were actually retarded.

(from article)

*The British group portrayed the victims’ language abilities more generously
than did Tan, who wrote that they speak a “primitive” language of a few
hundred words.

“They can all speak and understand Kurdish well enough to communicate within
their own family, and three of them also speak some Turkish,” Humphrey’s
group wrote. “But their articulation is poor, and it seems they have a
restricted vocabulary” and problems with word arrangement. However, “They
interacted with us as visitors in a friendly and courteous way.”*
* http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/060225_syndromefrm.htm

This suggests that they were acting like apes for Dr. Tan or that Tan just
wanted to see ape people.  After reading Tan's paper I found his scientific
and reasoning method to be rather crude.  The British Group's comments seem
to convey that they met a group of 5 people with some serious problems, not
5 throwbacks in the chain of human evolution.

pete