[extropy-chat] a.k.a is..

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Mar 8 15:05:18 UTC 2006

Samantha -

My comment and question to Anne-Marie was not kind, but neither was it
intended to be unkind.

I've noticed and known some people who appear to share two two
attributes:  (1) They tend to spew words in a kind of disjointed,
stream of consciousness way, making connections and asserting
significance while lacking much semblance to critical thinking. (2)
They have used LSD for significant periods of their life.

It's only my personal observation, and I don't know whether it is more
likely that people who already tend to think in this mode are
attracted to LSD, or whether taking LSD potentiates such a tendency
over long terms (it certainly does while under its immediate
influence.)

In my opinion and experience, altered states of consciousness, whether
induced by meditation, medication, intoxication, or psychotropic
substances, can be sometimes useful for helping people break out of a
rut in their current mode of thinking, and can be useful for
experiencing how illusory ones sense of self, perceptions and values
can be.

Such experiences can also be a driver of creativity after, but not
usually during, the altered state. Likewise, since such altered states
are highly subjective and thus of little direct value to others it
would be discourteous to post to most public forums in such a mode.

In the case of this poster on our list I have seen multiple examples
of (what seem to me) incoherent thought with the kind of ecstatic
mystical and erratic emotional attributes characteristic of such drug
influence.  I don't know whether my observation and hunch is correct,
but I'm bringing it up because I think it affects the health of our
home on this list and should therefore be identified, rather than
ignored, denied, protected or enabled in the manner of dysfunctional
families.

On 3/7/06, Anne-Marie Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

>If I quoted Albert Einstein with: (She likes him, thinks his smart:)
>"The body's surface layer is penetrated by energy
>quanta whose energy is converted at least partially
>into kinetic energy of the electrons.  The simplest
>conception is that a light quamtum transfers !  it's
>entire energy to a single electron..)"

Then I will say: