[extropy-chat] Peak Oil news

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Mar 9 02:41:03 UTC 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:52 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:
> Perhaps you miss my point:  I (and others) were complaining
> that people *don't* bet on Peak Oil who rationally *should*
> be betting. Your examples are of a lot of loons, or people
> just having fun. As Hal implied, those betting on oil
> futures are most often professionals.

I have been betting on Peak Oil to the extent I find the market
rational.  For instance, I predict that for every dip in the price of
oil that it will come back up again as high or higher quite shortly
due to what I believe regarding the fundamental validity of Peak
Oil.  I have been going long in these dips for over a year now and
selling and going short when normal market perturbations start to
cause a fallback.   This has been a winning strategy.    It is not,
for reasons already covered, so reasonable to buy a far out of the
money call for many years hence.  So can we move along to something
of a bit more substance than the self-satisfied dismissal of Peak
Oil, Global Warming or whatever else is generally looked down on with
justification based on strained rationalizations?

- samantha