[extropy-chat] Gravity, Energy, Mass and my mother

ben benboc at lineone.net
Fri Mar 10 22:37:53 UTC 2006

Emlyn wrote:

 >Jef,
 >
 >Don't feed the trolls.

Emlyn, No!

I'm all for starving trolls, but i don't (and obviously neither does
Jef) think that Anna is a troll.

She seems to me to be someone without the kind of scientific education
that a lot, probably most, of the people here have, and that causes her
to seem naive or even trollish. I don't believe that she is either. If
someone is willing and eager to learn things, it seems perverse to try
to deny them simply because they are saying things that seem silly. They
/aren't/ silly things, they are just uninformed.

Jef is doing a great thing by trying to explain concepts that are
probably foreign to Anna, and she is doing an even better thing by being
unafraid to show her ignorance of certain things, and of asking for help
in understanding. I think they are both, in their own ways, displaying
very admirable qualities.

I don't think Anna is trying to stir up trouble, i think she is hungry
for knowledge. We should be privileged to feed her. I may be proved
wrong, but i'd rather give someone the benefit of the doubt and be
wrong, than assume the worst of them, and be right.

If Anna starts saying "No, you're all wrong, you need to realign your
crystals with the cosmic harmonic vibrations of love and peace bla bla",
then i'll concede defeat and get my Troll Whacker (TM) out.

ben

PS, Anna, happy birthday, and what Gina said.