[extropy-chat] Hydrogen cars

Kara Devar kimdu16 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 11 02:07:21 UTC 2006

I love the "helicopter" idea, but it's a lot harder than it looks.  I have
30+ hours on helicopters and although I did well, I regretfully decided I'd
better stop until I could at least afford to fly one with a huge amount of
horsepower ($1,000,000 purchase--before maintenance and insurance.  Don't
even think about long-term rental.)  I was training in a Robinson R22--$250
per hour and one step above a lawn chair and a propeller-beanie.  My
instructor and one of his other students were both body-builders.  We're at
sea level, but they'd go out, sit on the roof, fire up the rotor, and walk
back disgusted because there just wasn't enough air that day.  100 lbs under
the designated weight, but still not safe to fly.

Unfortunately, while the horsepower buys you out of some problems and time
to fix other problems, it's very expensive both in dollars and mechanical
complexity.  The problems are: too many flight controls, too many weird time
lags in each control, long preflights, and an incredible sensitivity to
weather, ground affects and numerous other hard-to-quantify factors.
Compared to fixed-wing craft, helicopters are very intuitive and incredibly
unforgiving.  (I think a pilot can have as little as 0.50 seconds to
stabilize a helicopter if it "settles in power"--basically descends through
its own rotor wash.)

I'm not a fixed wing pilot, but my boyfriend (Chris) is completing his
commercial license.  I fly with him and am constantly surprised at the
traffic issues, the navigation issues, the maintenance issues...etc.  Even
in a $450K+ fully loaded computerized Cirrus (weather, terrain avoidance,
obstacle avoidance, parachute, traffic) we're shocked at how many other
craft go undetected and how many errors there are in the obstacle databases.
The parachute is nice, but plenty of people have died under an
optimally-deployed canopy.  (It has saved some--yeah!)  The raw technology
may be there to self-coordinate flights via GPS, but even in 2006, the
economics and the distribution of the technology just aren't where they need
to be.  Chris is also in the Air Force Reserves and stationed at Edwards, so
I've seen the Global Hawk and Predators in action.  Talk about PRINCESS
aircraft!  Unmanned but the maintenance/fussing requirements put a Newport
Beach girl like me to shame!

Unfortunately, private flying still seems surprisingly complicated and
expensive.  The only place I've seen it work on a commuting basis is Alaska.
They fly their planes like we drive our cars, but they're also very skilled
pilots (time, money, natural ability, education, dedication, Darwinian
selection, focus and guts all far beyond those of a normal commuter).

I heard about a test on the I-15 in California of automated car
control--that might be a more workable solution than flying cars.  I know
driving a car in two dimensions is dangerous, but with flying cars, there
would be a long period of huge expenses and stunning fatality rates (think
of the lawsuits!).   It's hard to get over that initial hump...

Too bad!

Kara
(Long-Time Lurker)