[extropy-chat] Lifeboat Foundation awared to Freitas, Joy

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 01:37:41 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Matus <matus at matus1976.com> wrote:

> Of these, explanations 1 and 2 require no action on our part to ensure
> our continuation.  And if they are accurate then building such a space
> station, or hopefully series of space stations, will not have made much
> of a difference.  However if scenario 3 is correct then we absolutely
> must devise such insurance policies, and if we do not than this could be
> the end that befalls all intelligent technological beings.

I'm all in favor of such insurance policies, but you might want to be
careful that in giving awards to people like Bill Joy who want to suppress
the development of technology, you don't make your doomsday prophecy
self-fulfilling - if the world follows Joy's advice, where do you expect the
technology to build arks to come from?