[extropy-chat] Are vaccinations useless?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 10:38:00 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> I haven't kept up with the evolution of the list's relation to
> politics.  Is
> it okay to ask whether efficient use of quarantine tactics works well with
> libertarianism?

I'm a libertarian, and SARS was one of the two occasions in my life where
I've gone so far as to spend a couple of hours on the phone chasing down
government officials to try and get them to do something (not that it
worked, but fortunately the governments in places like China and Canada were
more on the ball), so I don't see a contradiction. Libertarianism can be
summarized as "an it harm none, do as you will"; spreading a deadly disease
certainly qualifies as harm.