[extropy-chat] For your amusement

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Mar 18 15:12:52 UTC 2006

At 02:06 PM 3/17/2006, Keith wrote:

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm

I went to a Karen Finley performance at UCLA's Arts program in 1989, I
think it was.  She was absolutely amazing - a brilliant actress and
performer.  It was more than Performance Art, it was more like a Sir Ian
McKellen performance with a tinge of Shakespeare and down and dirty tales
about being a woman as she smeared mud onto her body.  I can't remember the
name of the performance, but I do remember laughing and crying as she took
the audience through her stories, each one connected to the next, laced
smoothly through transitions.

There have been three performances by women that have been markers in my
life.  The first was Laurie Anderson in San Francisco in the early
1980s.  When she put a light bulb in her mouth and sang "Oh Superman" I
knew that my future was putting the light bulb above my head and thinking
"Oh Transhuman".

The second performance was by Karen Finley.  Through her remarkably moving
piece, I understood that the artist as performer outweighs the actor as
performer.  This was a bit contrary to what Performance Art had been
experiencing since Actionism and Happenings.  Performance Artists were
trying not to be actors, but requesting that the work be accepted as
performance.  Karen Finley achieved great heights by actually being an
actor in the most professional and quality-driven sense, while maintaining
the dignity of artistic commitment.

The third performance I saw that shifted my perceptions was Lilly
Tomlin.  She performed a piece in Los Angeles which took Karen Finley out
back and rinsed her off. She, through her comic flare, told stories about
life and consequences with depth but she added a pinch of spice that
sprinkled her performance with delight - amusement and sheer joy.  I'll
never forget the image of her playing a 5 year old sitting in a chair that
exaggerated exaggeration!  The chair was 10x the size of a normal chair and
her long legs seemed very petite by comparison.   No light bulb in her
mouth, no angry stories that make you laugh or cry, but both develop with a
sense of wit and charm.

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller