[extropy-chat] "The Singularity Myth"

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 08:32:53 UTC 2006

Never been a true believer when it comes to the Singularity. I think a
big explosive S is a possibility - and Charlie Stross in Accelerando
gives a very compelling story of how it could happen in this century -
but there are also other possibilities.

Russel makes the example of the airplane taking off. But an airplane
is a solid object all parts of which have to move at the same speed,
whereas society is more like a fluid with different parts moving at
different speed. So I definitely see a lot of turbulence on the
horizon, but suspend judgment on whether all local turbulences will
amplify and organize themselves in a big S - they could also slow each
other down.