[extropy-chat] Humor: Extropy and Transhumanism (was jokes from Amara)

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Mar 21 15:12:35 UTC 2006

Back in 2003 under "Words of Wisdom and Humor"

from Max:

Rather than hoarding all the quotes I've gathered, I thought I'd share some
of them here. A mix of wisdom, humor, and both at once:

"The best proof of intelligent life in space is that it hasn't come here."
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke

Sexual abstinence is harmless when practiced in moderation.

   "The future is usually like the past  right up to the moment when it isn't."
George F. Will, Newsweek, 10.27.03

"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of
people."
Isaac Newton, after losing his savings in the South Sea Bubble of 1720.

"Life is a process of evolution and anyone who thinks the current world
order is OK does not get what evolution is all about."
Leroy Hood

Bill McKibben "It is clear that these revolutionary technologies are being
driven by people with immortality, or something very near it, on their minds."

"The only one who likes change is a wet baby."
Unknown

"There's a seeker born every minute."
Robert Anton Wilson

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"
Thomas Edison

"No one may have the guts to say this, but if we could make better human
beings by knowing how to add genes, why shouldn't we?"
Dr. James Watson, Nobel Laureate, Co-Discoverer with Francis Crick of the
Structure of DNA, and Founding Director of the NIH Human Genome Project.

"It seems to me that the civilized human being is a skeptic  someone who
believes nothing at face value."
Robert McKee, Harvard Business Review, June 2003, in "Storytelling That
Moves People".

"Humankind does not live by bread alone but also by catchphrases."
  From "Real Work" by Abraham Zaleznik, HBR Nov/Dec 1997

   "I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to
be flexible at all times."
Everett Dirksen, leader of Senate Republicans 1959-1969

   "I don't want any 'yes men' in this organization. I want people to speak
their minds, even if it does cost them their jobs."
Sam Goldwyn

   "Inside an organization there are only cost centers. The only profit
center is a customer whose check has not bounced."
   Peter F. Drucker, Management Challenges for the 21st Century, p.122,
"Information Challenges".

"If man were meant to be nude, he would have been born that way." - Oscar
Wilde.

"I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it."
- Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

"The covers of this book are too far apart."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

"It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man."
- Professor Scott Elledge on his retirement from Cornell

"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that
he renounce Satan.

"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people."
- Lucille S. Harper

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
- Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."
- Irvin S. Cobb

"If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" "
- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

"His ignorance is encyclopedic"
- Abba Eban (1915-)

"It is unbecoming for young men to utter maxims."
- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Onward!

Max