[extropy-chat] Is Ignorance part of the genes?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Mar 22 22:01:59 UTC 2006

-- resent from bounces yesterday ---

I wouldn't call this an "hypothesis" really as it is a set of
questions.  The are pretty good questions particularly given some
recent discussions here.  We have had discussion as to the relative
value and even "kinds" of rationality (versus logic of our genes),
whether it can be taught or not, to what extent our genes cause us to
be not that purely interested in truth or reason,  how they cause us
certain grief when our favorite ox is gored and so on.

So it is a very pertinent question if our genes contain (or perhaps
better, cause) ignorance then wouldn't ignorance be OK if our
rationality is not actually privileged over the "reason" of our genes
or genetic programming?   This question has surfaced a few times
recently.  Thanks for bringing it out, Anna.

In Lee's discussion about the teachability of rationality, he posited
that critical thinking is more or less genetically determined.  Hence
the second question.  Is being knowledgeable (or rational) a good in
itself or only to certain people of distinct genetic makeup.  This is
a fair question.

- samantha