[extropy-chat] Deliberative Polling

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Mar 26 17:45:54 UTC 2006

On 3/25/06, Jason Kolakowski <jasonkolakowski at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is an interesting piece about public opinion, democracy, and  policy
> decisions. Its application to our concerns I will leave to  others' wisdom.
>   The author blurb is:
>   James S. Fishkin  is the Janet M. Peck Chair in International
> Communication and the  director of the Center for Deliberative Democracy at
> Stanford  University. He is the author of Voice of the People and (with
> Bruce Ackerman) Deliberation Day.
>   The link is:
>   http://bostonreview.net/BR31.2<http://bostonreview.net/BR31.2/fishkin.html>
> /fishkin.html <http://bostonreview.net/BR31.2/fishkin.html>

 Jason -

Thank you for this very interesting link. The item makes clear some of the
weaknesses of simple democracy and how certain structural frameworks can
improve the effectiveness of social decision-making.

I think we are now beginning to exploit networking technologies (some
intentionally, and others as byproducts of entertainment and personal
interests) to facilitate effective social decision-making based on
increasing awareness of our shared values and increasing awareness of
methods that work.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net
Increasing awareness for increasing morality
Empathy, Energy, Efficiency, Extropy