[extropy-chat] darfur

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon May 1 03:13:29 UTC 2006

At 01:50 PM 4/30/2006 -0700, spike wrote:

>We have pretty much eschewed politics here, but if anyone has any ideas or
>suggestions on how an extropian-minded person should look at this human
>tragedy I would think it would be appropriate here.
>
><http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/30/us.sudan.ap/index.html>http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/30/us.sudan.ap/index.html
>
>As long as we keep out of the tiring old republicans this and democrats
>that, keep it as a high level world-as-participants discussion, we are all
>ears.
>
>Counter-suggestions welcome.

Unfortunately . . . these events have been happening perhaps back to before
the split between our line and the chimpanzees since chimps carry out wars
of extermination against neighboring groups.

The reason we have not seen more of it in the last two generations than we
have is that technology has caused the economy to run ahead of the
population increases in a lot of places.

That keeps war mode or "wipe out the neighbors" mode switched off.

You can blame the Pope or the memes for human reproduction to be jammed
full on.

The long version is here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/4/17/194059/296

The short version is that population builds up till people see a bleak
future, that causes xenophobic memes to build up, and there is a massive
population reduction from tribes fighting it out.  The traits evolved in
the stone age.

It is easier for xenophobic memes to build up against a different group of
people, Jews, Tutsi, etc, but a homogenous group can fracture like happened
on Easter Island or Cambodia if the conditions are right.

I have been thinking about these problems in detail because I am writing a
singularity novel that stretches over the next 100 years.  You don't need
to be a high powered AI or uploaded human to see the problem, but fixing it
in low tech societies opposed to birth control is probably beyond our
current ability.

If anyone wants to comment on a 7200 word chapter where the AIs completely
depopulation Africa (without killing anyone) let me know.

But at the current level of technology, I can only suggest you don't
watch.  :-(

Keith Henson