[extropy-chat] darfur

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue May 2 02:27:44 UTC 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Samantha Atkins wrote:
> Are you part of the solution or another part of the problem?  Slams
> of Americans per se are surely not helpful.

This is particularly ironic with respect to the topic at hand:

http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php3?id_article=15321

I resisted pointing this out at originally, but what the hell.

The UN has been pleading with countries to provide funding for basic
supplies (e.g. food) in Darfur, which are running dangerously low and
are already forcing severe rationing.  The US has stepped up to the
plate and provided over 3/4 of the total funding to date.  Libya,
(yes, LIBYA) is the second largest contributor, with only token
contributions from a few other countries despite many pleas for
donations.

The rest of the industrialized world is essentially ignoring Darfur,
with the US once again picking up most of the tab.  In short,
anything that *is* being done for the people of Darfur is being done
primarily through the generosity of the Americans, with the major
economies of Europe nowhere in sight.  Again. The US is frequently
accused of not doing enough to help, but if that is true what does it
say about so many other large economies that do far less?   What
would the consequences be if the US emulated the reluctant and tepid
generosity of much of the rest of the industrialized world?

J. Andrew Rogers