[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed May 3 17:37:41 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> by then mind is gone forever anyway according to my argument

According to your argument anesthesia causes the mind to go away forever
too, but I wouldn't spread that around if I were you, not if you want people
to take you seriously.

> so BEC is meaningless in the context of this discussion.

It means if the history of an atom is that ephemeral, if it can be erased
from the universe that easily it can not  be fundamental to the running of
the cosmos as you say. When atoms lost their individuality in the lab the
sky didn't open up, there was no clash of thunder, instead things went on
much as they did before. So how can atoms individuality be the key to the
universe when the universe itself doesn't seem to give a damn about it.

If also means I could arrange things so you walk into a duplicating chamber
and observe a person who looks just like you appear right in front of you;
and if the atoms of both were put into a BEC before they were reassembled
into human beings there is no way you or your twin or God or the Universe
could know which had the original atoms and which had the copy atoms, and
therefore there would be no reason to care.

> "A" I designate a volume of matter on the original trajectory "F" and "B"
> as the volume of matter along parallel trajectory "G" then if I gradually
> shift the atoms from volume B to A and B to A then F=F and G=G.

Your observation that F is F and G is G is deep, almost as deep as last time
when you said A is A and the time before that when you said the original is
the original. Your comments above remind me of what Lewis Carroll said in
"Through the Looking Glass":

T was brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

You know, we could save a great deal of time if you just said I refuse to
say which is the original, then we could move on to other things.

> Paper records are only needed when minds are alive.

If you put a gun to my head I couldn't say what you were trying to get at
here.

> If you use 2 CD players, each pumping out the 9th, then you have two
> instances of the type "9th Symphony"

A CD is digital so the entire Beethoven's 9'th symphony is just a number, a
rather large number but a number nevertheless, no different fundamentally
from the number 9. So, how many instances of the number 9 exist in the
universe? And remember I'm not talking about the symbol "9" I'm talking the
concept the symbol represents. If the question has any meaning at all, and I
doubt it does, the answer can only be one. But the fact is that arithmetic
is not very good at counting up abstract adjectives and adverbs; like you
and me for example.

> If there are 2 instances of brain type AND each instance produces one
> instance of mind type, then this MUST add up to 2 instances of mind type.
> Yes or no?

No.

  John K Clark