[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 02:12:59 UTC 2006

Heartland:

Clark:
>>>No.

Heartland:
>> 1+1 does not equal 2? Well, I guess that is my cue to leave this discussion.

Eliezer:
> Do you think that if your brain used twice as much atoms to store the
> same data, there would be twice as much people in your head?

Of course not. The point is that if you have two identical, but separate brains,
this must add up to two separate *instances* of one *type* of mind. If you have any
experience in OOP, and I can't imagine you don't, then you should know exactly what
I mean.

Why is the distinction between type and instance important? Because life that I
subjectively experience now is an *instantiated* type of mind, never a static
information about the mind. That experience irreversibly ends when the instance of
mind process is no longer active. As I said to Clark, the concept of "mind type" is
meaningless in the context of our survival. Cryonics preserves types of life, not
instances of life so I see no point in signing up for suspension. Is it depressing
that death is irreversible? Of course it is, but it's true.

S.