[extropy-chat] ANNOUNCE: Extropy Institute's Future

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu May 4 04:35:52 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of "Hal Finney"
>
> I want to congratulate Natasha, Max, and the rest of the Extropy
> Institute board for taking this difficult but proactive step rather than
> letting ExI and its related concepts just fade away as happens with
> so many institutions... Hal Finney

Hal, I heartily concur, and wish to express how honored I feel to have been
given the chance to be a moderator, then later the Temporary Volunteer
Omnipotent Super-Autocratic Utterly Tyrannical Yet Strangely Benevolent List
Dictator.  I am one who has always been uncomfortable wielding authority.
Power corrupts as we all know, and I was constantly aware of the corruption
welling up with me, as expressed by my own self-awarded and ever expanding
title above.  I consequently endeavored to compensate for the
corruption-spawning power granted me by me.  Unfortunately I overcompensated
to such a degree that the customary evil laugh "Muwaahahahahaaa" and the
traditional "Fools! I shall destroy them all!" manifested themselves in an
annoying horse-whinneying "Muweeheheheheee" and a "Wise persons!  I shall
co-operate with them all!"

Far too silly was this.

Many of us have one period of formative years in our lives, when we form the
memetic framework, the philosophical basis of our entire lives.  Usually
these are in our youth.  I am one who has enjoyed two periods of formative
years, or rather the traditional formative years, then subsequently the
reformative years.  The former took place in my tragically misspent youth,
as it is with most of us.  But the latter, the far more interesting and
unconventional reformative years, were during my tragically misspent
adulthood.  These years started about the time I found extropians, somewhere
around 9 years ago.

Finding there were others with thoughts and ideas in parallel to my own was
a tremendous meme-affirming discovery.  I owe much to those who have posted
here, especially those who posted smart stuff and were never harsh nor
overbearing.  You know who you are.  I shall forever treasure the
friendships and acquaintances formed in this forum.  I thank you all.