[extropy-chat] ANNOUNCE: Extropy Institute's Future

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu May 4 21:10:29 UTC 2006

At 01:45 PM 5/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>On 5/4/06, Keith Henson <<mailto:hkhenson at rogers.com>hkhenson at rogers.com>
>wrote:
>>For example, I should not be credited for the idea of "Jupiter brains."
>
>You aren't in anything I'm responsible for.  I researched this and Perry
>agreed that he was probably the source though he was unsure if he heard it
>from another source.  (Though many of the references may not work and need
>to be relinked, you can get the gist of the history from [1].)  The
>Wikipedia entry also doesn't have your name attached... So you can rest
>easy Keith :-).

Sure.  Results 1 - 10 of about 31 for "keith henson" jupiter "that
nanomachines".

I think my contribution to that thread was a criticism that I have never
seen answered.  Namely that beyond a certain point, you get less from more
since the amount of computation you can do goes up with the cube, but the
clock rate has to go down because of speed of light delays.

Beyond a size that isn't a lot larger than a human head, you are going to
get a society of minds or one that thinks very slowly.  But I have never
seen an analysis with numbers in it.

>Of perhaps greater concern than the private extropy list from the early
>'90s may be the public list over the last decade or so.  As I recall I
>first encountered the public list sometime in late '96.  So everything
>since then should be available without having to obtain the permission of
>the authors.
>
>What I particularly miss is the old archives (from mailman?) which I think
>were maintained on <http://lucifer.com>lucifer.com. I suspect that
>multiple people may have these archived.  It is up to someone to provide
>the space & bandwidth to make them available. It shouldn't be very much
>overhead in this day & age.  I suspect the entire list contents for the
>decade would fit on a CD (or at worst a DVD).

It probably is on a CD or DVD.  Want me to ask David?

Keith