[extropy-chat] Let's try this again (was: "Dead Time" of the Brain.)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri May 5 23:48:52 UTC 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Heartland wrote:
> But, generally, I'm disappointed that I have to spell each detail
> of an idea to
> have any hope that an idea will be understood. What happened to
> taking a principle
> and extrapolating it to its logical conclusion?

The problem is that you do not make sense, and there is no clear
logic to your conclusion.  Many people have observed this so maybe,
just maybe, it is not them and it really is you.  At the very least
you are not constructing a coherent argument, so let me help you
out.  In your arguments, you will do things such as stating that you
"agree" with another poster on some point, and then proceed with some
explanation that seems to logically contradict the very thing you
just said you agreed with.  And you've done it repeatedly.  You also
are repeatedly apparently failing to grok points of fundamental
theory, and argue against them by couching your arguments in
definition-free hand-waving that does not mean anything to anyone.

What you are doing is not working, and for the obvious (to everyone
else) reasons I've stated above among others.  To get to the bottom
of this and save us all a lot of time, you basically need to a
RIGOROUS and STRICT construction of your argument:

- Define, in as strict terms as possible, the basic concepts you are
using (e.g. "brain","mind","die",etc) because without agreement on
definitions, your logic is meaningless.  Any basic concept that you
do not define cannot be used in your argument, because there will be
no established agreement on reasoning.  Do not assume everyone is
using the same definitions by default.

- Specify, in as strict terms as possible, the assumptions that must
be valid for your reasoning to be correct.  Every conclusion is
dependent on a range of assumed constraints for validity, and the
applicability of the argument to a specific case can be determined by
the particular set of assumptions used.  Even mathematics assumes
certain axioms when proving theorems.

- Show, in as strict terms as possible, how your conclusion can be
derived logically step-by-step from the definitions and assumptions
previously agreed upon.  Don't assert it, prove it.

If you do all this, in proper order, by the time the process is
complete there is a very good probability that most people will be
able to agree with your reasoning, or a very excellently specified
flaw will be isolated that invalidates the argument.  You will be
challenged at each step, but that is the way strong arguments are
constructed and how agreement on the terms of discussion are set.
One way or another, this will all be settled in a sequence of narrow
assertions that are much easier to evaluate than the big ball of wax.

So start defining all the terms of your argument that are to be
used.  After everyone agrees on the definitions, we can move on to
constraints and assumptions.  After all this is done, the logic and
reasoning will almost write themselves.  I think you will find the
audience here very open to arguments carefully constructed in this
fashion.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers