[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Sat May 6 06:11:20 UTC 2006

Eugen:
"Would you agree that a mind
is a physical process, which happens to process information? So you only
have to look at those relevant aspects of the physical system engaged
in the abovementioned process, and can abstract away anything else?"

All the "relevant aspects" contain all that is required for a mind to exist and
function, nothing else is necessary. Otherwise they would be "irrelevant".

Eugen:
"Are you sure that you're always getting of what other people are saying?"

Not always.

Eugen:
"No offense, but you were still arguing with yourself when I unsubscribed,
and you don't seem to have made any progress since."

"Arguing with yourself?" What does it mean?

If you define "progress" as my ability to understand more about the problem then
yes, I've made progress. If you mean the ability to convey that understanding to
others, then no, I haven't seen much progress. I'm more interested in the first
than the second definition.

Eugen:
"Declaring that mind is energy is about as meaningfull as declaring that mind is
information. Or that the mind is a future predictor. None of it is completely
wrong, but perhaps the blind men shouldn let go of the nose hairs of the trunk,
and look at the whole animal."

Okay, so what does that "whole animal" look like according to you?

Eugen:
"Are you realy sure you're making any progress
when you're switching point of views?"

No, the point of view is the same. I just sometimes realize new things based on
that view.

Heartland:
> definitely a mechanism of denial that protects you from truth, especially if it's
> ugly and might hurt. There is very little chance that you can detect what truths

Eugen:
"You sound like a psychologist. This won't lead you anywhere. You need to be
at least psychophysics-level tall to ride this ride."

Look, Jef Allbright asked me for *personal* perspective on how I make an update to
my argument. What you are responding to are only my personal impressions of that
process, that's all. I'm not proposing the theory of everything here. Relax.

S.