[extropy-chat] Death is irreversible v.1.0

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon May 8 05:51:11 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> Life - Subjective experience of being in the present moment.

Since it is imposable to talk about the present moment without bringing in
subjective the above means "A  subjective experience of being subjective",
a comment without content.

> Mind object (or just "mind") - An object in time and space

Mr. Heartland has said this many many many times, and each time he has I
have asked him the space time coordinates of things that make up a mind,
things like logic and love and the number 9, and each time he has responded
to this very reasonable question with silence. I have also asked him over
and over why if position is so important in determining a mind why is it
that a mind by itself has absolutely no way of knowing even approximately
where it is? And again Mr. Heartland resounded to this question with
silence.

> Brain object (or just "brain") - An object in time and space

OK.

> that consists of all matter that currently does not make up mind object
> but is necessary to support its existence.

If a "brain object" is "necessary to support its existence" then why
isn't it what you call a "mind object", after all you say the
definition is "matter which is presently and actively involved in
producing the mind". This is rigor? I have pointed this out before and
received the usual response from Mr. Heartland, silence.

>  Identity of an object - Unique trajectory of the object in time and
> space.

As I said in another post, it you had said that 90 years ago it might have
sounded reasonable, and naive intuition would seem to support it; but we now
know there is no way that can be correct. And even if it were correct it
would be irrelevant because some things, even very important things, are not
objects. Mind is one of them.

> Subjective experience is an activity so it is also distinguishable from
> any other instance of subjective experience, including any duplicate
> instance of the same type of subjective experience

Distinguishable by who? An outside observer may or may not be able to
distinguish who is the original and who is the copy (although you can
arrange things so NOBODY knows) but the original and copy have no way by
themselves of doing so, and subjectivity is what's important not
objectivity. If subjectively I'm alive then I don't give a rat's ass if
objectively I'm dead.

> A new instance of that subjective experience is verifiably different from
> the old one (4)

I add 2 +2 on my calculator and get 4, I add 2 +2 again and get 4 again, but
the second 4 is vastly different from the first 4. I don't think so.

  John K Clark