[extropy-chat] Death is irreversible v.1.0

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 8 17:53:57 UTC 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 5:51 PM, Heartland wrote:

> I. Terms and definitions:
>
> Subjective experience - Collective sense of perception and/or
> cognition.
> Process/activity by which mind experiences reality.

What is the "collective" for?  Collective among what?  Would "sum of"
be better?  What about self-identity or reflection?

> Death/Nonexistence - Subjective experience of nothingness. Absence
> of that part of
> mind process which is responsible for producing subjective
> experience. (A type of
> subjective experience one would have if one did not exist at all).

Death is a subjective experience?  Really?  I thought you agreed it
is a lack of any experience.  How can that which does not exist have
any experience?

> Life - Subjective experience of being in the present moment. It is
> the presence of
> that part of mind process/activity which is responsible for
> producing subjective
> experience.

Huh?  This is the total of your definition of "life"?

> Mind object (or just "mind") - An object in time and space
> consisting of all
> matter, but only that matter which is presently and actively
> involved in producing
> the mind. It is a process consisting of chain of activity of matter
> and energy in
> time and space.

This is circular and meaningless.  A delimited subset of all matter
"involved in producing the mind" cannot be a definition of "mind".

> Brain object (or just "brain") - An object in time and space that
> consists of all
> matter that currently does not make up mind object but is necessary
> to support its
> existence.

What?  You have mind as a material object as far as I can tell but
brain as some other material object not part of "mind object"?   This
is confusing.    You need to have mind as a process and not an object
to make this work I think.

> Trajectory of an object - Space-time path of matter making up that
> object. It is a
> list of all present space-time locations of all matter that
> currently makes up the
> object.

What is this useful for?  There is only one space-time location for
an object at any moment.  Are you speaking of across the entire
existence of said object?

> Identity of an object - Unique trajectory of the object in time and
> space.

Nope.  You can't have identity be the same as the trajectory because
then you leave the question "trajectory of what" unanswered.

> Type - A category of things that share some characteristic. For
> example, apples and
> oranges are types of fruit. In this case "fruit" is the type.

All three are types.  Apple and Orange are more specific types of Fruit.

> Instance of a type - Individual object that belongs to the same
> type. For example,
> an apple is an instance of fruit type and an orange is also an
> instance of fruit
> type.
>
> ------
> II. The argument:

With the above broken definitions you have no basis for an argument.

- samantha