[extropy-chat] Cryonics questions...

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue May 9 06:13:05 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> The physical essence of mind is an activity of matter in time and space.

Cool! And I just made a brilliant discovery too, I'm responding to you post
by punching keys on my keyboard in time and space.

> Information cannot store activity

Information can initiate activity, it can also suppress activity.

> static brain matter plus information about the structure of that brain is
> not enough to preserve an instance of a mind because laws of physics
> simply do not allow it.

If that were true, if the laws of physics did not allow you to stop a mind
and then restart the same mind then that would mean there must be some test
you could use to see if a mind had been temporarily halted or not, BUT NO
SUCH TEST EXISTS.

> Even though an *instance* of mind cannot be preserved, cryonics should be
> able to preserve the *type* of the mind.

So the last post from you that I read on my computer was just a *type* of
your post, perhaps that's why it didn't convince me. I need to read an
*instance* of your post, but to do that I need to read it on your computer
and I need to read it at the same time and place you wrote it. So all you
need to do to convince me is send me an airline ticket and a time machine.

  John K Clark