[extropy-chat] Let's try this again.

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 16:51:37 UTC 2006

Hi Samantha,

  Samantha wrote:
  "...adds nothing of value to our knowledge and does not add to the ability to make sense of our world..."

  With all due respect, this is *your* opinion, not mine, and probably not the opinion of several other people on this list - judging from the level of activity that this thread has produced.

  I've already listed some direct implications that this conclusion would carry (if true), in a much earlier post, but I've thought of a couple more since then:

  -  It would carry mutual (bi-directional) implications with the Many Worlds QM theory.

  -  It would suggest that people who die in this era (without cryopreservation) will not
     be "resurrected" by SIs of the future: because it lies outside their abilities or
     desires, or because we fall to an existential risk before the Singularity occurs.

  -  If proven true, it might encourage some people of the strictly "Thread" view of life
     to arrange for Cryonics, where otherwise they might not.

  Samantha:
  "...has nothing at all compelling to recommend it..."

  Your opinion again. I respectfully disagree.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich