[extropy-chat] Intro

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat May 13 16:34:52 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, Pes Udoname <ps_udoname at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I would like to do somthing that would help towards transhumanism/
> singulartarianism in the future.
>
> Options I have:
>
> Pure maths like group theory, Galois theory etc
>
> Pure maths like Riemann intergration etc, all of which seems too rigorous
> to me
>
> Applied maths
>
> Physics- quantum mechanics, thermodynamics
>
> Computing - formal logic, computer algebra
>
> Computing - actually coding stuff (very annoying)

There's a glut of programmers at this stage, so there's no need to go into
that area unless you particularly like it (which it seems you don't :)). The
big areas where progress can be made over the next few decades, it seems to
me, are biotech and nanotech. Nanotech is arguably primarily a branch of
chemistry, but quantum mechanics and thermodynamics are certainly very
relevant to it, so that would suggest physics as your best option from the
above list; but you might want to talk with one of your professors, perhaps,
to figure out a longer-term plan if you want to get into that area.