[extropy-chat] privacy rights

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat May 13 19:31:12 UTC 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 10:38 PM, spike wrote:

> [...]

Nothing to hide?  Are you sure you have never violated any of the
many tens of thousands of laws on the books?  Are you sure you have
never called or associated with anyone that may be now or ever under
federal suspicion?  No?   Then you had best think much more deeply if
your basis for being for being watched and surveilled increasingly
continuously is that you "have nothing to hide".

If our government goes ever more draconian, paranoid and power mad
than it arguably already is then I would suspect that all of us would
have more and more things we would not like to have it aware of.
Things like our thoughts, our opinions, our associations, our
business dealings, our banking records.  Yes, many of these things we
lost control of already but it can certainly get worse and will if
enough of the people say "well, I have nothing to hide".  That isn't
the point and never was the point.

> For instance, I cannot be certain I never blammisphied online any
> religion
> that could have adherents who may akbar a knife between my ribs at any
> future date.  I think all my blammisphy has been restricted to the
> common
> domestic varieties of religion, but I honestly cannot recall.

You would do better to fear your government.  It is far more likely
to do you serious  harm.  However, one of things privacy is important
for is precisely to keep any busybodies from taking objection to and
seriously threatening your life and security.  So the underlying
point is well taken.

- samantha