[extropy-chat] privacy rights

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 14 22:15:35 UTC 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 9:09 PM, spike wrote:

> [...]

Those who would assume power over everyone and everything always
attempt to make it about stopping something everyone is against.
Terrorism is the latest excuse.  But I think we have seen about
enough by now of stuff to "fight terrorism" to be a mite skeptical of
this excuse.  Stuff found out by these "anti-terrorism means" is then
part of the knowledge of the government.  The government has a LOT of
other agendas besides fighting terrorism.  Once the means are widely
in place to monitor all of us it becomes near impossible to fight
back ever again or escape the tightening noose.

>   What if they already have?

So what?  Stopping terrorism dead, which they certainly haven't and
can't, is no good to me if I lose or stand to lose all freedom and
security from governmental abuse in the process.  Having some freedom
and privacy left merely by government generosity is not good enough.

> They wouldn't be able to report it without giving away their hand.
> So by
> opposing vocally the NSA actions, we would be putting lives in danger.

What?  Our lives are being put in danger by our government employing
such means.  We don't need to aid this oppression by not even
bleating a protest on the way to full state control.

>   But
> it does seem they could track only the calls that are going to known
> terrorist connections or certain countries.  Or certain area codes
> known to
> harbor bad guys.  I dunno.  I'm withholding judgment on this one
> for now.

Withholding judgement may be the same in effect as approving.

- samantha