[extropy-chat] singularity conference at stanford

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon May 15 19:58:56 UTC 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Jef Allbright wrote:
> I was a bit dismayed by Douglas
> Hofstadter's presentation, because while he made a good point about
> the value of skepticism, he appeared to be somewhat smugly detached
> and lacking detailed awareness of the thinking he was attempting to
> criticize.  It was a bit of a letdown for me since I have held a bit
> of hero-worship for him since reading GEB back in 1979.

Having seen him give presentations before, I would make the
observation that this was a noticeably sub-par performance.  If that
was your only experience with him, I would recommend seeing him give
a presentation somewhere else.  He has his own odd style, but he can
be far more engaging speaker than he was at the Singularity Summit.

J. Andrew Rogers