[extropy-chat] Microsoft (was: singularity conference atstanford)

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Tue May 16 09:49:43 UTC 2006

> Samantha said: Outlook is not itself the standard just because it is
widely used.

>I also doubt it is the most used.  Outlook costs money.  Many people on
Microsoft platforms can afford it only at work.  >They use other things
quite often at home.

Because Microsoft bundles Outlook Express into the Windows XP operating
system.  And the XP operating comes installed on 99.9 of the PCs used in the
US whether you like it or not, it has become the defacto standard.

High speed carriers such as Comcast and Verizon only have installation and
helpdesk support for Outlook.  Try asking them for help configuring another
mail program and you'll find out you're on your own.

I know there are a lot of power users out there who enjoy trying new
software and a lot of the Open Source software out there has been made a lot
easier for newbies to download/install but the truth is I work with the
average PC consumer on a daily basis and the vast majority of them don't
make it any further than Outlook and Interent Explorer.