[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue May 16 14:11:48 UTC 2006

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Russell Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:02 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

As a "Singularity Summit" this was very tame and not very scary at all.  It
provided a platform for Bill McKibben to speak. Bill McKibben, who advocates
an end to progress, the snuffing out of the entire future of sentient life -
_and is respected and taken seriously_. If that doesn't scare you, what
would?

On the contrary, I found McKibben's talk in a way reassuring.  We have an
intelligent, sincere and articulate singularity opponent who demonstrates
that there is little substance to the position of AI opposition.  His thrust
seems to be asking: why should we want to pursue the singularity?  My answer
is simple: Don't worry Bill, we want to.