[extropy-chat] The Immortal Class: Admissions Criteria

giorgio gaviraghi giogavir at yahoo.it
Tue May 16 14:58:17 UTC 2006

I understand your comments and agree on main issues
but we are talking of a high irrational component.
Nobody would have imagined only ten years ago,
suicidal attacks by moslem extremists to prove a point
and keep a political pressure on certain countries or
societies.
But such warfare tactic have  become a mainstay of the
actual way of life and have caused  extreme terrorism
prevention measures and other factors that have deeply
affect our everyday life.
To go to the USA today has become a nightmare just
because we need a digital passport while the US
diplomatic authorities are overburden with visa
requests by people who were used to travel without any
restriction.
With the same rationale, an immortality possibility,
which by technological, economical or other conditions
will initially have  effect in a limited amount of
population, will not only create resentment but will
be the fuel for more serious class revolutions that
can affect all of us, and the entire society,
jeopardizing the whole project and creating long term
negative effects.
And i am not mentioning the immediate ban by such
religious groups as the Roman Catholic  Church or
others, which will still hopefully remain in a
reasonable cultural environment.
For that reason immortality, as a possibility, must
be, since the beginning a democratic choice, not
limited to any country, group or association.
The negative impact of a rejection by the majority of
the excluded population  can cause a long term class
warfare and have negative consequences for decades, if
not for centuries.
The day that immortaity,  a potential immortality
possibility, will be available, it must be accessible
to everybody.
That is the most important and essential condition for
its acceptance.