[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue May 16 17:08:07 UTC 2006

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> > Granted that everyone needs something to believe, if you find
> > "Singularity in my lifetime" is what you personally need, then
> > believe in life extension or cryonics that'll let you stick around
> > to see it, and let go of the illusion that it's just around the
> > corner.
>
> It is either within this century or likely not at all for this
> species imho.

What would be the problem with a - very - slow warmup to Singularity,
taking until 2150 or so?  Say, if it takes 100 years to develop fully
human-equivalent AI software after we have human-equivalent AI
hardware, which happens in 2050.

(Granted, I don't think it's likely to take 100 years.  But neither do
I see it as impossible.)