[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue May 16 20:03:21 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I think you misunderstood.  The proposition given was that the
> Singularity must happen this century or the human race is doomed;

My own position, in case it isn't clear, isn't that humanity _will_ be
doomed if we don't achieve sufficiently advanced technology by the end of
this century (I don't think it's possible to predict dates with confidence
that far ahead), only that such _may_ be the case (and given that, the
safest course is to get our heads down and proceed as quickly as possible,
at least until the technology on which to base policy discussions actually
exists).

Besides, some of us are going beyond the prognosticating, and trying to
> get to work on actually building tomorrow.  ;)

Good, that's exactly what I'm advocating ^.^