[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue May 16 21:51:50 UTC 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 10:08 AM, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> --- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>>> Granted that everyone needs something to believe, if you find
>>> "Singularity in my lifetime" is what you personally need, then
>>> believe in life extension or cryonics that'll let you stick around
>>> to see it, and let go of the illusion that it's just around the
>>> corner.
>>
>> It is either within this century or likely not at all for this
>> species imho.
>
> What would be the problem with a - very - slow warmup to Singularity,
> taking until 2150 or so?

I don't believe that merely human level intelligence is adequate to
survive  our current untenable and unsustainable circumstances much
less the vastly more complex circumstances likely over a century and
a half more.  Without an infusion of greater intelligence I expect
some fatally critical breakdown long before 2150.

- samantha