[extropy-chat] Future Consciousness through AGI + Neural Macrosensing

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed May 17 16:03:10 UTC 2006

Would anyone like to offer insights, add to, object to, agree with, or
comment on this 500 word abstract for an upcoming conference on
consciousness in the UK?

I realize there are some obvious challenges with what I argue: (1) I
suggest that "neural macrosensing" (Freitas) to provide sensory information
to the AGI (Amara D. Angelica's insight suggests "macrosensing" (Freitas)
instead) ; and (2) "elevated acuity" (Vita-More) may not be consciousness
(Samantha's insight);  and (3) the "oracle" (Peter Voss) may not be the
best term to use.  (Bty, "human humanity" was inspired by Eliezer.)

Abstract:

The acquisition of wisdom has been recognized as one of the noblest goals
of humanity. (Aristotle, Buddha)  People aspire to this state of sapience
by relying upon religious, spiritual, and meditative practices separately,
or combining them as models for defining moral codes and heightened
awareness.  In today's era of blending technology with human biology,
speculation and exploratory engineering are bringing about alternative
methods for helping us understand ourselves and our desire to interconnect
with others.  Is it possible to combine technologies to assist our brain in
acquiring wisdom?

One approach is to couple two distinct emerging technologies, that of AGI
(artificial general intelligence) and "neural macrosensing."  AGI is
developing as a reaction to recent trends toward narrowly focused AI, and
returning to artificial intelligence's original idea of building machines
with human-level and even superhuman intelligence.  "Neural macrosensing,"
a term created by scientist Robert A. Freitas Jr., is the hypothetical
"ability to detect individual neural cell electrical discharges
non-invasively
 [and] offers the possibility of indirect neural
macrosensing of complex environmental stimuli by eavesdropping on the
body's own regular sensory signal traffic."  This means that nanorobots
would listen to, or eavesdrop on, the body's sensory organs.

These two different spheres of technology have yet to be explored as a
means for bringing about a wiser, more humane humanity.  Both technologies
are based on exploratory engineering, much like the imaginative inventions
Leonardo da Vinci sketched out long before they could  be realized.  Yet,
the coupling of AGI and neural macrosensing is based on tangible advances
in their respective fields.

Engineers at Adaptive AI are building AGI for improving human intelligence,
and in theory for exploring partial, physically integrated personal silicon
"oracles."  According to engineer Peter Voss of Adaptive AI, "Once we have
human level AGI, we will essentially possess our own personal AGI to
integrate with us and advise us." Voss claims that our new silicon partner
would develop rationality, wisdom, and knowledge through a relatively loose
integration with our brain. This non-invasive approach to augmenting the
brain would at first appears as mundane as a black box, and later as
streamlined as light-activated ion channels for remote control of neural
activity. (Richard H. Kramer)  The oracle assistant would also be a new,
emotional part of ourselves to bounce ideas off of; similar, but far more
advanced than a Remembrance Agent (RA), designed by Bradley Rhodes at MIT
Media Lab, computer that watches over a our shoulder and suggests
information relevant to what we are  reading or writing.

But how would we secure a cooperative relationship between the oracle and
its human counterpart?  The most likely approach would be to build generic
oracles with a large skill set and ability to bond quickly with their
counterparts. This bonding would require more than technically-driven
intellectual motivation; it would require strong sensory capabilities for,
essentially, sniffing out the environment.  And this is where macrosensing
comes in; to "allow us to become exquisitely sensitive, like 'super-senses"
to fine details in our environment." (Freitas)  Macrosensing could provide
the needed sensorial feedback for both assisting the brain and developing
elevated acuity.

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller