[extropy-chat] Yeah! Where the hell is Within-Text Highlighting?

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 22:00:41 UTC 2006

Hi BillK,

  Thanks for your reply. It's somewhat embarrassing to learn that this feature is usually available - albeit in an indirect way. [Sigh] Such is the life of an internet-dummy. With that said though, wouldn't it be relatively easy for Google to standardize this feature such that it always highlights the keywords automatically, no matter what the source of info (website, pdf, word document, etc)? This seems like an easy thing to do, and it would still improve the speed and efficiency of collecting info - especially for those like myself.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 5/17/06, A B wrote:

> This is a question I've wondered about for a while, but I keep getting
> distracted, and forget to ask. Why is it that Google cannot provide a
> highlight of some kind for entered keywords (search words) *within* the text
> of a document itself?

Well, first thing to remember is that when you click on Google search
results, most of them link to web sites. Only a few link to word
documents or pdf files.

When the link is to a web site, if you click on the Google cached
page, then your search fields are indeed highlighted. If you go to
the actual web page then you have to use the browser feature 'Find on
this page' to jump to the term you are interested in.

If the link is to a word document or pdf file then this will open in
your word processor (e.g. MS Word) or pdf reader (e.g. Adobe Acrobat
Reader) and you can use the Find feature in this software. If you use
the 'Google 'view as HTML' feature, then Google will highlight the
search fields for you.

Best wishes, BillK