[extropy-chat] Group Loyalties Post-Singularity (was Economic consensus on immigration)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 21 18:16:24 UTC 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:

>> Anders wrote
>>
>> Additionally, if we assume that the singularity is not
>> all-encompassing in its scope
>
> That's assumption #1
>
>> - sweeping up every sophont within a short period of
>> time - there's a huge divide waiting to be exploited
>> - pre- and post-singularity sophonces will most likely
>> have radically different goals, conceptualizations,
>> and explanations for themselves. Therefore, IMO,
>> assuming SOME form of social clustering continues to exist,
>
> That's assumption #2
>
>> there's a huge rationale for developing pre- and post-
>> singularity social clusters.
>
> Under "fast takeoff", everything will depend on the goals of
> the winner AI that takes over first.

Thats assumption (A), that the first AI will be interested in
controlling everything sufficiently that other peers do not develop.
Assumption (A.1) is that its goals and capabilities include control
of a much of local reality at all.

> If it's beneficent
> then yes, some games people play (like national rivalries
> or religious affiliations) may persist, but there won't be
> much meaning left to them.

Why not?  A beneficent AI is not likely to significantly overwrite
human minds regardless of their stated wishes straight off.

> Not if a beneficent Overmind
> offers everyone much greater intelligence and understanding.
> And if it's not beneficent, then we all die anyway.

Offer versus taking the offer.   Assumption (B) is that all the
things listed are in all significant ways stupid given greater
intelligence and understanding.

> Under a "slow takeoff", our values, our understanding, what
> is important to "us" (whatever we become) will undergo such
> radical transformation to preclude us from much speculation
> now.

But somehow we can speculate on what will happen under an all-
controlling AI??

> (It was for that reason that I stated that the fitness of
> and survival of various nations and ethnic groups and so
> on is likely to be of little consequence post singularity,
> and nation-states will almost surely be as obsolete as
> winter hunting in high pastures.)

You have not shown a sound basis for assuming any of these things.

- samantha